Monday, January 28, 2013

Leaving San Ignacio and Adma's Family

This was the hardest part of the whole trip. We had to leave our host families behind just as we were developing great bonds. While in San Ignacio i learned a ton. Adma would talk to me every day about Belize and the PUP and UDP (the two political parties in Belize). She would teach me about traditional medicine and her spiritual experiences. I learned about family values and what a strong mother she was with a husband studying law the West Indies and taking care of 4 children in the mean time as well as 5 host students. How she does it is beyond me. I became close with the kids and miss them a ton. I would talk to them a bit everyday and they were always fun to be around. So well behaved and bright for their ages. All except Zahi (since he's only 2) were in special schools since they were so brilliant. Adma always said she wasn't smart just street smart but i don't believe it she seems to be doing everything right. I would love to come back and visit and see the family again and bring my girlfriend Nicole with me. She would love to meet the kids and Adma would love to meet Nicole. We always had delicious homemade meals. Most of the time they were Belizean meals so we got a greater sense of their culture. I learned so much seeing a third world country first hand. We have so much here in the states and we take so much for granted. In Belize they have a lot less but seem so happy. I still wonder why that is. It could be we are just used to being so spoiled, i am still not sure. I don't think i could ever see myself living permanently in a place like Belize but i definitely wouldn't mind spending a small part of my life in a country like that. I loved my experience there and i know i could benefit a lot more and learn a lot more by going back. It's a shame more people can't have the opportunity i have had by visiting a country like Belize and staying with a family that basically becomes your own for a few weeks and even into the future. I've know Adma's family for only 2 weeks but it feels as though i grew up there my whole life. It was a quick goodbye but hopefully it will only be temporary. Although who knows what will come up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment